Some good long tail keywords, a relevant landing page, and a decent max. CPC – if only getting the number one spot was that easy. Your quality score is influenced by a number of factors, and some are easier to sway than others.
Just a couple of spots along from Keywords on your Campaign page is the Ad extensions tab, a key feature in improving your all-important Ad Score. You have a variety of extensions to choose from (and if you haven’t set up a phone number, get on it), but there is one in particular that can give your ad a welcome boost: AdWords Callout Extensions.
Like a loud-hailer for your USPs, AdWords Callout Extensions offer a punchy way to show-off why your ad should get that golden click. These are an ideal spot to show how you beat the competition. Offer free shipping? Perfect. 24-7 Customer Support? Use it
What you need to know about AdWords Callout Extensions:
- Despite a 25 character limit for each Callout, Google recommends using 12-15, so keep them snappy.
- They only apply to “Search Network Only” and “Search Network and Display Select” campaigns.
- Don’t repeat text from Account, Campaign or Ad Group level in your Callouts. Got “Free Shipping” as an Ad Group? It might have more impact as an Adwords Callout Extension.
- Use a minimum of 2 per account (any less and they won’t appear), but at least 3 is better.
- Make the most of the date and time ranges – Christmas offers, weekend deals or next day delivery before 3pm can all be specifically set to appear at the appropriate times.
- Don’t use gimmicky symbols (like “♡”), your ad just won’t be approved.
- Google analysts suggest that sentence case gets better performance title case i.e. “100% silk” rather than “100% Silk”.
- There’s no cost to put them on your account – You only get charged as usual per click on your ad.
What you stand to gain from AdWords Callout Extensions:
- Extra free ad space – Never anything to be sniffed at.
- An improved Ad Score – Google assesses the expected impact your Callout will have on the customer and takes it into account with your score, a sure fire way to lower your CPC. This can be the difference between you and your main competitor taking that top spot.
- Stand out from the competition – Your USPs are there for all to see.
- Flexibility – Callouts are editable at any time, ready for that new offer as soon as it’s ready to roll out without having to edit the entire ad.
- Mobile Optimisation – Enable or disable certain Callouts as needed for mobile users.
- More reporting data – You can know how many clicks you received both with and without your Callouts – Yet more valuable data to optimise your campaign.
So what are you waiting for? Fire up your AdWords account now and get those Callouts working in your favour. Let us know in the comments what AdWords Callout Extensions have worked best for you!