How to create your HTML AdWords Conversion Tracking
- First, sign in to your AdWords account, click on the Tools tab, then select Conversions.
- Then, click the red +Conversion button.
- Here, you’ll see the four types of AdWords Conversion Tracking that are possible. Click on Website.
- In the “Name” section, enter something that you will easily recognise when looking at your account, such as “Contact Form Fill Out” or “Newsletter Sign Up”, then click on Done.
- Next, click on Value. Select how to track the value of each conversion:
- Each time it happens, the conversion action has the same value. Choose what value one conversion gives your business.
- The value of this conversion action may vary. Choose this if your products vary in price.
- Don’t assign a value.
For the majority of sites, just choose Don’t assign a value. For more information on assigning values, check out this page.
- Next, click on Count. Here, you have two choices:
- Every: This one is better for sales.
- One: This one is best for leads, such as Contact Us forms.
Again, for the majority of sites, choose One, and click Done.
- For the Conversion Windows, you can choose how long or short the time is between a user clicking on your ad and converting on your page. We recommend using 30 days for both of the options.
- Almost there now. Click on Category, and select the type of conversion it is from a list of Other, Purchase/Sale, Sign up, Lead or View of a key page, then click Done.
- Finally, to make sure that you see your conversion data in the AdWords interface, select Yes for Include in “Conversions”. Click on Save and continue, and it’ll take you to a page with your saved settings, and your brand new conversion tracking HTML tag.
How to place your Conversion Coding on site
Now that you have your HTML conversion tag, you need to add it to your site. Remember, the coding needs to be placed of the page immediately after the one someone uses to complete a profitable action, such as a Submission page, or a Thank You page.
- Copy your HTML conversion tag from the Install your tag section by using Ctrl + C
- Open the HTML for the Submission or Thank You page.
- Between the body tags (<body></body) on the page, paste (Ctrl + V) your HTML conversion coding.
- Save the changes to your page, and you’re done!
Your conversion tracking should now be active! To check which keywords are resulting in conversions in future, make sure to enable the “Conversions” column on the Keywords tab.
Got any more questions about AdWords Conversion Tracking? Leave them in the comments and we’ll get back to you!